If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, choosing an oncologist (cancer doctor) and a specialized cancer center for your treatment is paramount in achieving ultimate success. This decision can make a significant difference in the quality of care you receive moving forward.
Let’s talk about how to go about selecting a cancer center to treat you, and where you can go in the Sarasota and Manatee area for the best cancer treatment around.
How to Find a Cancer Center for Your Treatment
Here are some guidelines on how to find the best cancer treatment facility for your individual situation:
- Don’t go it alone; ask for ideas from your primary care physician (PCP). Your doctor can provide facts based on what’s personally best for you, such as potential risks and benefits of certain therapies, as well as recommendations for excellent cancer centers in the area.
- Request a referral from your PCP. Your family doctor will know one or more outstanding oncologists, so ask for a referral to a cancer doctor who specializes in your type of cancer. This physician will be affiliated with a dedicated cancer center.
- Look for a cancer treatment center that offers a multidisciplinary approach. A comprehensive cancer facility will have a team of cancer experts, such as medical oncologists and oncology nurses– all of whom can develop and administer the best treatment plan for you.
- Check the credentials and expertise of the prospective oncologist. Find out if the oncologist is board-certified in their specialty, as well as the number of patients they have treated with your type of cancer. Other relevant questions include their complication rates and their successes.
Also, ask about what treatments they think would not be a good option in your case (This will give you an idea of whether this is a “checkmark” doctor or if they really consider each patient on an individual basis.) You should be fully informed about the various types of treatments that are administered for your type of cancer, and why your treatment is being recommended for you.
- Don’t hesitate to choose a cancer center that is a great distance from your home. The cancer surgeons who practice at a large cancer center are more than willing to work with oncologists in your area.
Cancer Center in Sarasota and Manatee County
If you are looking for an expert oncologist in Sarasota to help you with your cancer treatment, look no further than Intercoastal Medical Group. We are a comprehensive medical practice that offers top-quality service for all your healthcare needs.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with one of our outstanding oncologists, call us today at our Hematology & Oncology office at (941) 200-1125, or fill out our appointment request form online now. We look forward to being your partner in health!