If your child is athletically inclined, it is important that they undergo a thorough examination when they sign up for a sport at school. Formally known as a “pre-participation physical examinations” (PPE), a sports physical is required annually by Florida law.
A sports physical is a checkup that assesses your child’s health prior to participating in sports, specifically looking for any diagnosed or undiagnosed medical conditions that could result in injury – or a life-threatening event – during sports training, such as:
- High or low blood pressure
- A heart murmur
- Incomplete recovery from a previous injury
- Poor core strength
- Tight hamstring muscles
As such, it is a good idea to have your child get a sports physical at least six weeks before the first practice of the season, just in case your pediatrician or family doctor identifies any conditions that could prevent or delay your child’s ability to play.
In most cases, your child’s doctor can identify and make a plan to address their condition, so they will have sufficient time to follow-up and have the issue corrected before the season starts.
8 Reasons to Choose Intercoastal Medical Group for a Sports Physical
Here are several important reasons why your child should get a preseason sports physical at Intercoastal Medical Group:
- Our primary care/family medicine doctors have access to all your child’s health records, including an accurate and up-to-date list of medications, allergies, prior test results, growth curves, and more. As such, we are the best equipped to assess your child’s health during a sports physical.
- Our doctors can directly manage any chronic health conditions your child may have or get regular updates from the specialists your child sees. For example, they will know how well-controlled your child’s asthma is, what medicine they take for ADHD, and more. As such, we are great at diagnosing issues and subsequently addressing them in a timely manner, so that your child can play their desired sport.
- Your child requires various immunizations throughout their adolescent and teen years. Our doctors know which ones are due and can administer them during their sports physical, if necessary. While not directly related to a sports physical, immunizations are critical for preventive care.
- If your child sees the same doctor throughout their formative years, they have a trusted figure with whom they are more comfortable discussing sensitive issues that they wouldn’t ordinarily address, such as peer pressure, smoking, drug use, performance stress, or depression. Sports physicals are just one of many services provided by our doctors for pediatric patients.
- Our doctors not only provide an annual health exam, but also counseling. They can answer questions important to your child based on their developmental level, such as school performance, the appropriate use of seat belts and bike helmets, substance abuse, sexual development, nutrition, and living a healthy lifestyle, to name a few – many of which are important to athletic performance.
- Our primary care physicians know when to refer your child to a specialist and can help you set up appointments. Sports physicals may highlight health problems that need specialist care. Our PCPs can streamline your care, so that getting treatment is easy and fast, and you can play your desired sport.
- Yearly sport physicals conducted at Intercoastal Medical Group are designed to meet state requirements that are valid for 12 months from the date the exam is performed or until the end of the following school year (if performed after April 1).
- Intercoastal Medical Group provides an easy-to-use Patient Portal, so you, as the parent, can view your child’s lab results, message the provider, view past visit information, and much more. It’s as simple as that!
Family Practice Providing Sports Physicals Near Me
The family practice doctors at Intercoastal Medical Group provide superior primary care to patients of all ages, including children. That includes conducting sports physicals for athletes of all ages, as well as a host of other medical services and specialties.
If you’re seeking a highly qualified family practice physician as your primary care physician and a medical practice that can take care of all your health care needs under one roof, look no further than Intercoastal Medical Group. Call us today for an appointment with one of our family medicine providers or request one online. They see patients at our offices in Lakewood Ranch and Sarasota, including Beneva Family Practice, Beneva Professional Center, Lakewood Ranch I, Lakewood Ranch II, Cattleridge Medical Building, Palmer Ranch I, and Palmer Ranch II.