In today’s complex medical environment, wading through all your health care information and options can be overwhelming at times. Fortunately, there is a place you can go for guidance and the resources you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Your primary care physician (PCP) is that touchstone, offering not only diagnosis and treatment for common healthcare issues but preventive medicine to help you avoid medical issues throughout life.
Top 10 Reasons for Seeing a PCP for All Your Healthcare Needs
There are numerous reasons why you should see your primary care doctor whenever you have a potential healthcare issue. These include:
- Monitor Your Overall Health – In addition to treating you when you’re ill, a primary care physician can help ensure that you stay healthy with regular check-ups that help prevent the onset of serious, chronic illnesses. Symptoms can be assessed and addressed quickly, before becoming serious issues. Lifestyle factors, such as weight, lack of exercise, and stress, can be altered before leading to chronic illnesses.
- Routine Health Screenings – Your PCP will order blood work each year to check your cholesterol, blood sugar, and other indications of how well your body is functioning.
- Manage Any Chronic IllnessYou May Already Have –The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) estimates that as many as 6 in 10 Americans have a chronic illness such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, or COPD. Your primary care doctor can help you keep these ailments under control and lead a healthier life.
- Establish a Long-Term Medical Relationship – Having a doctor who follows your health over the years means more than just having someone who refills your prescriptions and performs annual physicals. It’s having someone who is well aware of your individual medical needs and can provide treatment plans that keep you as healthy as possible.
- Provide Access and Referrals to Specialists – If necessary, your PCP can refer you to a wide variety of medical specialists and work with them to make sure they have all the relevant medical information they need to help you.
- Enable You toBe Healthier – Research confirms that patients with primary care physicians are healthier than those without. They are more likely to receive regular healthcare screenings and to take and refill their medications.
- Keep Your Healthcare Costs in Check – The overall cost of healthcare is reduced when you have regular visits and screenings with a primary care doctor. That’s because you are more likely to prevent serious illnesses from developing and treat those that do in earlier stages.
- Have a Centralized Source for Your Health History – A primary care practice maintains a complete and extensive record of your medical history, which includes any lab tests and screenings you’ve had. This information is vitally important if you need to be referred to a specialist.
- RequireFewer Hospitalizations and Trips to the ER –By seeing a PCP regularly, symptoms of serious illness are detected sooner and addressed before they can develop into critical medical situations requiring emergency treatment at a hospital.
- Have Better Communication Between You and Your Provider – One key to maintaining your health is having ongoing and open communication with a physician who understands your needs and can explain your treatment plan clearly and concisely. That is what an ongoing relationship with a PCP offers.
Experienced and Compassionate Primary Care Doctors in Sarasota & Manatee County, Florida
With over 100 highly qualified physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and physical therapists in 10 locations, Intercoastal Medical Group makes it easy to find a primary care provider at a location that’s convenient for you. You can even search for one by name, gender, specialty, or location.