A family doctor can provide a variety of services for you and your family, from diagnosis and treatment of acute medical conditions to the management of chronic conditions, as well as prevention of disease. A family doctor advocates for your family’s health and wellness through personalized care and services.
Let’s talk about what makes a family doctor an integral part of your healthcare team.
How a Family Doctor Can Help You
- Diagnosis and treatment of illnesses – A family doctor can diagnose and treat a wide range of illnesses, from the common cold to more serious conditions like diabetes or heart disease. They will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your needs and may refer you to specialists, if necessary.
- Provide pediatric care – A family doctor is also trained in the treatment of conditions affecting pediatric patients. They can treat patients of all ages, which is why they are called “family” doctors. A family doctor can treat a variety of pediatric conditions, including but not limited to allergies, asthma, ear infections, flu, and strep throat. They can also make referrals to child specialists, if necessary.
- Provide preventive care – A family doctor can help prevent illness by providing vaccinations, screenings, and counseling on healthy lifestyle choices, such as diet and exercise. This is especially important for children who need age-appropriate immunizations against diseases like measles or chickenpox. Family medicine doctors can also provide vaccinations against the flu, COVID-19, and tetanus. Preventive care also includes cancer screenings, like mammograms and colonoscopies, which are recommended based on your age and risk factors.
- Management of chronic conditions – If you have a chronic condition like asthma, diabetes, or high blood pressure, your family doctor will work with you to manage it effectively through medication, lifestyle changes, etc., so that it does not impact your quality of life or overall wellness.
- Weight loss assistance – A family doctor can help you reach your weight loss goals. Being overweight or obese carries many health risks, and a family doctor can make recommendations on diet, exercise, and lifestyle, and also provide medication and supplementation to help shed the pounds as safely as possible.
- Provide mental health support – Your mental health is just as important as your physical health! Family doctors are trained to identify signs of mental illness, such as depression and anxiety, and offer treatment options available to them, whether that be psychiatrist referrals or prescribing medications.
Family Medicine Doctors in Sarasota and Manatee County, Florida
The family medicine doctors at Intercoastal Medical Group can provide for all your family’s needs. Since we are a multi-specialty group, we have the distinction of being able to provide comprehensive health services and a continuum of care to all our patients. With over 100 member physicians, referrals to cardiologists, pulmonologists, allergists and immunologists, endocrinologists, podiatrists, orthopedists, hematologists and oncologists, and others are very easy for your benefit and convenience.